Nov 17, 2011

Business Week's Top Executive and Part Time MBA Program - 2011

Executive MBA Programs

The latest Bloomberg Businessweek ranking of the world's top executive MBA programs features a shakeup at the very top. The University of Chicago's Booth School of Business has captured the No. 1 spot for the first time since the ranking began 20 years ago, ousting Chicago-area rival Northwestern's Kellogg School of Management, which until now was the only No. 1 school in the ranking's history.

Top Five Executive MBA Programs are -

  1. Chicago Booth School of Business
  2. Columbia Business School
  3. Kellogg School of Management
  4. IE Business School
  5. UCLA Anderson School of Management
For the complete list, click here

Part-Time MBA Programs

In the two years since Bloomberg Businessweek last ranked the nation's top part-time MBA programs, it would appear there's been little change in the established order. In five of the six regions, the No. 1 school remains the same, with only the University of Michigan's Ross School of Business becoming a new No. 1 in the Midwest, ousting the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

Top Five Part-Time MBA Programs are -
  1. Elon University’s Love School of Business
  2. UCLA Anderson School of Management
  3. Carnegie Mellon Tepper School of Business
  4. University of Nevada, Reno
  5. UC Berkeley Haas School of Business
 For the complete list, click here.

BW's Ranking methodology for EMBA and Part time MBA

The methodologies used by Bloomberg Businessweek to rank part-time MBA and executive MBA share one thing: a focus on the end-users’ satisfaction, whether they are students who attend the programs or companies that enroll employees.

The EMBA ranking is based on two surveys—one of EMBA graduates and a poll of EMBA directors, where each of them rank the school. BW contacts the graduates and ask them to complete a survey on teaching quality, career services, curriculum, and other aspects of their experience. The results of the 2011 survey are then combined with those from two previous surveys (2009 and 2007) for a student survey score that contributes 65 percent of the final ranking. The director of each program participating in the ranking is asked for his or her top-10. We assign 10 points for every No. 1 ranking, 9 points for each No. 2 rating, and so on. The point totals for each program contribute the remaining 35 percent of the final ranking.

BW's newest ranking—of part-time MBA programs—is by far the most complex. The student survey contributes 40 percent of the final ranking, with academic quality and post-MBA outcomes contributing 30 percent each. To determine which programs are tops in academic quality, BW combines six equally weighted measures: average GMAT score, average student work experience, the percentage of teachers who are tenured, average class size in core business classes, the number of business electives available to part-timers, and the percentage of students who ultimately complete the program. To gauge post-graduation outcomes, BW determines the percentage of student survey respondents from each school who say their part-time MBA program was “completely” responsible for their having achieved career goals.


Post a Comment